Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 3

We woke up in the morning after a restful night's sleep at the Pickett State Park campground. We got back on the road, determined to shop at the sales on the opposite side of the highway from the day before.

The first sale we stopped at had a few neat items, but they were very overpriced. One item worth mentioning was a kid's go-cart from the 50's that was called a "scat car". I wanted to buy it for the obvious reasons, but at $125, I passed after much deliberation. I also considered getting a school water fountain, but it was quite heavy but I wasn't sure that anyone else would like it as much as I did and I didn't know if anyone would really want to connect a water fountain inside their house/dungeon... Would they?

Back on the road, cruising along at the blistering speed of ten miles per hour, I spotted a child's school desk and so we pulled over. To our surprise, a Hulk Hogan looking man with a long white mustache and a shirt unbuttoned to his navel was the vendor and he gave me the desk for super cheap.

We moved on and parked the van back at another big encampment, that had hundred's of amazing vendors. We took some deep breaths and again settled in to the fact that we were probably going to be here for the rest of the day. Alabama and Kentucky were now clearly now not going to happen, as in three days we had only managed to cover about twenty five miles in total.

On a porch of a rickety old house, I discovered a box of all purpose black rubber gloves used for chemical spill cleanups. They seem apropos wear for Folsom Street. We also found resin hands used to test the strength of latex gloves on an assembly line, which I think also could be of amusing interest and as the woman vendor demonstrated, were remarkably indestructible.

Christine called me over to take a look at a bizarre potty training toilet and we ended up talking to the vendor for a while while I gathered a handful of items including a early 20's men's portable shaving kit box and medieval torture looking chain mail pot scrubber. I also came across a box of cheesy cocktail napkins with Playboy cartoons on them. I then asked the man if he had any more risque items and he said he did have something, but it was so dirty that he would not allow us to look at it in full view of the public. As he went into his RV to fetch the item, our minds raced... WHAT could this item be?!? He came back a few minutes later, with a cigar lit. Oh my, this was going to be good! He told us to go behind the RV and look at the item standing between the RV and the van and handed us a, gasp, nudist calendar from the 60's! This was the tamest thing we could have imagined, as the pictures were of women and men playing volleyball, horseback riding and barbecuing - ooh la la! We politely returned the contraband and left, chuckling to ourselves. If this was the dirtiest thing he owned, perhaps he should come visit us in San Francisco? I guess it is all a matter of someone's perspective, right?

No comments: